Friday 15 February 2013

5. 15 February 2013 - Vitamin D better than Boceprevir? and, feeling calmer.


I started taking anti-depressants today, to fortify my brain chemicals to face the onslaught of interferon. The Hep C consultant told me to ask for the weakest strength, 10mg, but when I was in the appointment with the doctor I forgot, so I’ve got the 20mg and am taking half. Last time I took these they made me fat and killed my sex drive, I hope that won’t happen if I can manage on 10mg.

There’s an article on the Hep C Trust website which shows adding Vitamin D supplements to the standard therapy (of peg. interferon and ribavirin) as increasing SVR levels from 42% to 86%. Hepatitis C Trust | January | Can adding vitamin D improve response to HCV antiviral therapy?

That’s better than Boceprevir (although it was a smallish trial). (Wikipedia says Boceprevir has SVR rates of 75% - 66% for the fixed term therapy.) The subjects took 2000 IU/d / 50μg vitamin D3 per day, as well as the standard therapy. That seems to be twice the strength of the max strength tablets, or 10 times the recommended daily amount. 

I’m going to get some strong vitamin D supplements, and start taking them straight away. I can ask the nurse about them at the appointment in a couple of weeks.

Last week I was feeling really panicky and frightened, but this week I’m much calmer. Being worried and frightened was part of the preparation I think, something I just had to go through. I’m better prepared at work now, I'm a bit ahead, so can move my focus onto myself without guilt. 

My brother sent me a lovely supportive email (eventually). Given that he took 10 days to get back to me, I am not sure he’s not one to call on in an emergency but it makes so much difference knowing he's there. A. is being supportive, listening and asking questions, which is also a big comfort, knowing he’s on board.

I am going to see my parents this weekend. I wonder whether it will be the last time this year, if I can't  face the drive (they are 2 and half hours away) once I’m on the medication. 

The pace is picking up now. 2 weeks to the start line.




No comments:

Post a Comment